Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Trying to Find a Balance

  
   Today I would like to talk about my personal struggles to find balance. As someone who is currently working full time, taking a full 16 credits in school, and trying to maintain my workouts, I realize the importance of harmony between things that are important to you. Every so often you still need time to relax, breathe, socialize, see family etc.

    Balance in life, more specifically balance between health, exercise, nutrition, and still being able to have a life. When I was training for my NPC competition, I had to let the diet and exercise plan dictate my life in order to succeed. I had to have a huge amount of dedication in order to stick to it. The payoff was huge. I was able to change my lifestyle and maintain my weight loss while ultimately reaching the most difficult goal I have achieved in my life.

    After competing there are many different strategies people have to eating. Some people just go all out eating anything and everything after their stringent dieting. Some stick to their diets which isn't necessarily good in the long run because you do miss out on certain nutrient levels in order to have the lean body you get while dieting. The trick is trying to find a balance between living healthfully and relaxed at the same time.
For me this unique balance was extremely difficult to find. It was a constant struggle of trying to incorporate some of what I wanted without overdoing it, and when I did go outside the training diet not feeling guilty about it was difficult as well.
Over time, I have talked the ears off of people holding a cognitive dissonance between my love of food cooking etc, with the joy I felt from having the goal weight and body I reached.
I am still working on the balance, but things are getting better. I know we all experience our own problems when it comes to being body conscious, and having guilt towards food. The scary thing is extreme cases of this can lead to eating disorders for some people.

If anyone has suggestions as to the perfect way to find a balance without letting food overrule your life, I would love to hear about it and their resources. The point of this blog post was mostly to open up a discussion about something that affects most Americans especially females differently in their everyday lives. What you want to be like, how you should be, how you want to be seen etc, are all very different perspectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment